When you let your customers know that you appreciate them, they'll show you that they appreciate you. And they often do that by making a purchase and telling others about your store.
1. Open the door for customers whenever possible.
2. Offer to hold customers shopping bags while they are shopping.
3. Provide a coat rack in the winter.
4. Acknowledge the customer's children.
5. Offer to gift-wrap purchases.
6. Suggest accessories and other items that enhance a customer's purchase and his life.
7. Offer to carry the customer's purchase, however big or small, to her car.
8. Send handwritten thank-you notes.
9. Send a birthday card with a coupon for a free product. Even better, send your best customers a gift-wrapped present.
10. Introduce yourself to the customer.
11. Ask the customer his name. Use it.
12. Compliment the customer on his purchases.
13. Recommend a product to the customer.
14. Tell her why a product isn't right for her.
15. If you can't fulfill a customer's need, suggest another retailer that may be able to do so.
16. Create a loyalty program that is simple and doesn't require that the customer do anything but make a purchase.
17. Make your return policy as easy and painless as possible.
18. Refrain from visiting with your colleagues when with a customer.
19. Welcome every customer who comes into the store.
20. Loan umbrellas on rainy days for the customers to get to their cars. Have then either drive them up to the sidewalk where you are waiting to receive them back, or ask the customer to bring it back on the next visit.
21. Remember the customer's name and use it when he makes return visits to your store.
22. Email or call your customers to offer gift suggestions for loved ones birthdays and anniversary that happen every year.
23. Provide free information that enhances the customer's life and the products he purchase from you.
24. Offer additional services like installation, home delivery, etc.
25. Teach the customer how use the products. Clothing and home goods retailers might show their customer how to accessorize their purchase.
So let me ask, how many of these are you doing? What else can you add to the list?